Metsovo; The jewel of Epirus! Metsovo, is a lively mountain town in Epirus, with its diverse history, traditions and customs is a popular summer and winter holiday destination.
If you are on holiday in Lefkada island, and you are a lover of the beauty of the mountains, of color, folklore, and good food then Metsovo in Epirus, is a great chance for you!
Highlights of Metsovo From Lefkada 8 H Private Tour
- Visit the jewel of Epirus
- 8 hours privayte tour
- See the picturesque village of Metsovo
- Compine tradition, natural beauty, deliceus food and wine
- Ecxpert driver/escort
Metsovo From Lefkada 8 H Private Tour; You came to Lefkada for the emerald and sapphire waters around the island and at the numerous gorgeous beaches, but maybe you’ve never thought that Greece is more than 80% mountainous.
What does that mean? Many people miss out on the breathtaking beauty of the Greek mountains and the Greek mountainous villages and towns all year long.
One of these stunningly gorgeous places is Metsovo, Greece. Actually, it’s not by chance that it is called “the Switzerland of Greece”! Metsovo is located on the mountain ridge of Pindos, in northern Greece. It has the island of Lefkada southwest, the city of Ioannina west and in its east, and the cluster of Meteora.
The Metsovo village, retaining its traditional character, dots the mountainside below Katara pass in the Mountain Range of Pindos, and adding the soothing sound of water always on the move adds to the majestic atmosphere.
Metsovo is full of life throughout the year generously offering you its natural surrounding beauties. Also, during the winter, half-hidden in the fog or wrapped in a snow blanket as winter sets in, Metsovo practically looks like a painting.
Particularly during winter, the famous Vlach village, the birthplace of various national benefactors of Greece like Tositsas, Stournaras, Averof, etc., is Epirus’ beloved holiday destination!
Metsovo From Lefkada 8 H Private Tour; Your private driver will pick you up early in the morning and will drive you straight to the picturesque village of Metsovo, approx 195km away from Lefkada, 2,30 hours drive.
This lively mountain town combines colorful traditions, breathtaking nature and top-class wine tourism Metsovo, a mountain village in the Pindos area, northwestern Greece is a model of development with a robust wine and culture-based tourism.
Even though the year’s average temperature does not exceed 10° C, this charming destination remains lively all year round thanks to the devotion of its people and the generosity of benefactors, who have helped maintain the local culture and capitalize on the natural beauty.
The past struggles of daily life in this mountain village have made their way into local stories, songs, dances, and crafts, and can be sensed today. The main square still echoes Metsovo’s age-old history.
There, elderly men sit chatting in Vlach, a language with Balkan roots that is still understood by the young but used less and less these days. The language is a relic of this small village’s long history.
Let’s see what you can Do in Metsovo, Greece
Stubbornly the village preserved its traditional style in architecture and general heritage, which is celebrated and guarded by the locals as much as its natural beauty is.
Consequently, Metsovo has managed to completely conserve the way it looked in its height of commercial power in the 17th and 18th centuries, when it exported its famous textiles and woven goods in all the Balkans and even across the Mediterranean.
Just looking at how long is the must-do list will give you an idea of the unexpected richness of experience this hidden mountain gem of Greece has in store for you!
So, what are the best things to experience in Metsovo?
Visit the Tsanaka Folklore Museum
The Folk Museum of the Tsanakas and Venetis families is housed in a centuries-old upper-class mansion in Metsovo. You will have the chance to witness more than 300 years of Metsovo’s history, from kitchen utensils to traditional clothing to legal and other official documents in full display, and a beautiful collection of 19th century woven Metsovo art.
Visit the Averoff-Tositsa Museum of Folk Art
The Averoff-Tositsa Museum of Folk Art is housed in the 17th century, a three-story, traditional stone mansion. Walking inside, you step into a time capsule of how life was in Metsovo for the privileged classes.
Visit the Averoff Museum of Neohellenic Art (the Art Gallery)
The Averoff Art Gallery in Metsovo houses the works of some of the most important fine artists of Greece. Its permanent collection boasts works by all the major Greek painters of the 19th and 20th centuries and is considered one of the most complete collections of Greek art from these two centuries.
There are also works by major Greek sculptors and printmakers which you can enjoy,
Katogi Averoff Winery Metsovo
Metsovo is famous for the production of Katogi Averoff, a deep red Cabernet Sauvignon wine first brought to the area in the 50s by Averoff, who wanted “French wine in the slopes of Greece” to become a staple- and it did.
Here you will have the chance to enjoy the beautiful winery and go on a tour to see the great hall with more than 1200 wine barrels, learn of the winemaking process, and top it off by tasting the wine.
Visit the Monastery of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary
Just a few minutes outside Metsovo village, where two tributaries of the River Arahthos meet, you will find the Monastery of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary.
Built-in the 18th century, this monastery is unique and used to be a hub of Metsovo’s economic and commercial life as the monks were active in agriculture and trade, and let travelers use it as a waystation on their journey to Thessaly.
Church of St. George
You will find the Church of St. George on the northeast side of Metsovo, from where you can enjoy a breathtaking view of the mountain ridge and walk in its garden with the giant trees.
The church itself is a beautiful example of a neo-byzantine basilica, with a wood-carved iconostasis and icons dating as far back as 1709.
Visit the Averoff Gardens, around Metsovo
Stretching across an impressive 10-acre expanse, the Averoff Gardens near the Church of St. George are certainly not to be missed.
Visit the Ghinas Watermill
At the riverbanks of Arahthos, not at all far away from Metsovo, you will come upon Ghinas’ watermill. This is one of the most well-known watermills in Greece, and it used to be the area’s powerhouse for grain processing across the ages. It has been converted into a museum, and the guard there will be happy to give you historical and cultural information.
Walking at the banks of the artificial lake of Aoos
Aoos Lake is an artificial springs lake, created for the production of electricity. The lake is breathtakingly beautiful in summer and winter alike.
Savor the delicious traditional cheeses and local delicacies in Metsovo
Metsovo is renowned for its local cheeses. So, while you are there, you absolutely should taste them all!
Metsovo is internationally especially famous for Metsovone, a smoked semi-hard cheese that has been under PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) since the 90s. Made of cow’s and goat’s milk, it is then allowed to mature for three months and then exposed to smoke made by burning special grass and herbs for 12 days.
Except for Metsovone, you should ask for Metsovella cheese, as well as an assortment of very local cheeses made with infusions of red wine, pepper, and herbs. There is also galotyri, a soft creamy one you spread on bread or pies and then wash down with the excellent local wine.
Metsovo’s cuisine is centered around dairy products as well as goat, sheep, and forest products such as mushrooms, wild greens, and herbs. In the local tavernas, you will enjoy many different tasty and uniquely delectable combinations of all these ingredients, from grilled meats and salads to local cheese and herb pies.
Visit the Pindos National Park, Valia Calda Greece
Near Metsovo, you will find the Pindos National Park, also known as Valia Calda. It is comprised of two thick forests of black pine (Pinus nigra) and European beech (Fagus sylvatica). The forested area is characterized as of outstanding natural beauty and high ecological significance, as a lot of important and rare species of animals and plants live there. It is a NATURA 2000 protected area and considered a “biogenetic reservoir.”
Go hiking in Valia Calda, and enjoy the several creeks, springs, little rivers, and tiny mountain lakes, surrounded by ancient trees and walking on a beautiful forest floor. You can also go swimming, fishing, mushroom collecting, kayaking, camping, and a lot more, depending on the season!
Bellow find two of our hiking proposals in Metsovo!
Route 1: The hiking route starts outside the Dairy Foundation Tositsa. Just in front of the cavalry’s military monument, we enter the Ursa Trail our hiking trail (Bear’s Trail) certified as the Leading Quality Trail of Europe.
The first part of the trail goes through the ridge of “pande al ghine” which is characterized by the amazing panoramic view of the surrounding mountains and the artistic creations made by the students of the Athenian Fine Arts School.
After passing through the breathtaking beech forest we end up on the plateau “Politses” with its beautiful characteristic meadow. At this point we leave the Ursa Trail and take the old “horse path’’ used by the locals in the past in order to move around. The “horse path” will lead us downhill to the entrance of the village of Metsovo where our hiking route ends.
Rout 1 distance 5-6 km estimated time about 1:30 – 2:00 hours.
Route 2: This hiking route starts from the plateau “Politsora” which is located at a height of 1300 meters. Here, we follow the Ursa Trail (Bear’s Path), the Leading Quality Trail of Europe, after having gone through a beautiful meadow where you can see horses, cows, and sheep grazing.
Continue the route and climb through a beech forest, about 500 meters higher, up to the top of “Karakoli”. From there, the path goes downhill and it is characterized by amazing panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and the artistic creations made by the students of the Athenian Fine Arts School.
After about 3 km we arrive at the old Tositsa-Averoff woodwork factory which is at the edge of the village of Metsovo. Moving through the narrow, picturesque streets, one can admire the architecture of the settlement, drink fresh water from the tiny fountains, and observe the daily routine of the inhabitants.
Our hiking route ends at the center of the village where there are many souvenir shops and traditional restaurants to eat
Route 2 distance 5-6 km estimated time 1: 30-2: 00 hours.
Summer is the driest time but storms can occur year-round. May to October is the best season period to visit.
The mountain ranges to the west and east of Metsovo experiences a wide climatic variation from baking heat in summer to severe cold in winter with heavy rainfalls.
Winter can be cold but quite ethereal and even dramatic with fogs clinging to the side of the rock formations!
There isn’t really a bad time to visit Metsovo. So visit Metsovo at any time of the year!
- Transfer offered; Travelers pick up/drop off is offered.
- Pick up from; We will pick you up from any Villa, hotel, suite, or apartment in Lefkada island, Lefkada port, and yacht marina at the pier!
- Info needed; When booking makes sure to include the name and address of your accommodation or the name of the cruise line and the cruise ship!
- Pick up time; We propose to pick you up at 08:00 am in order to avoid traffic and crowded! (but as you are in Lefkada you can start any time you want)!
- Drop off; We will drop you off at the same place we have picked you up or at any hotel, address of your accommodation, or yacht and cruise ship!
What is Included
- A professional driver with good knowledge of Lefkada
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle appropriate for the size of your group
- Flexible pick up time on request
- Free Pick-up & drop off at your villa/hotel in Lefkada
- Free Pick-up & drop off at Lefkada port
- Free Pick-up & drop off at Lefkada Airport
- First-class transport: By Mercedes E-Class or similar; Mercedes minivan or Mercedes minibus according to the size of your party. All new models come with a full leather interior and A/C.
- Local taxes
- Official licensed tour guide for guiding inside the archeological sites. Available on request with surcharge
- The private tour is 100% exclusive for your party
What is Excluded
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/escort will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost.
- Private tour – Shore Excursion
- Activity level: Moderate
- Departures: Daily
- Due to the high complexity and uncertainty of contemporary transportation, as well as unexpected situations, the planned itinerary can change at any moment and our choices may be affected by any social, economic or environmental phenomena!
- Lefkada Tours Greece is proud to be the first in the industry to offer Guaranteed Departures. A guaranteed departure means; There is no minimum number of bookings required on a trip to run and that the tour will definitely operate on the day it is scheduled and will not be canceled. All guaranteed departures will run except in the event of a natural disaster or another similarly disruptive event that is beyond our control. Our current collection of tours can take you to exciting places in Athens and around the world.
How will we use the information you will give us about you!
- Passenger Detail; We need basic contact details so we can send appropriate booking information to you as well as make sure the supplier can contact you should they need to.
- Flight Details; We will need to know your exact travel details so they can track flight time as well as make sure they get you to and from your destination with no delay.
- Accommodation Details; We need to know your pick-up and drop-off address to ensure the right price and that we know exactly where to meet you or take you.
- Payment Details; We will pass your payment details to our secure payment provider, but we do not see or store any of these details on our website payment details.
- Dress: religious and memorial sites: shoulders and knee must be covered.
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of the tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Most of Lefkada Town (Chora) commercial center is either flat or has cobblestone, flagstone-paved streets, and lanes with slight inclines, though there are some lanes that have steps. Note though, the center is surrounded by hills, some of which are steep, but you could easily avoid those and still have plenty to see on flatter terrain.
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-soled walking shoes, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
- For guests who are full-time wheelchair users, a ramp vehicle will be needed. Guests may remain in their wheelchair or scooter for the duration of the excursion. Wheelchair or scooter dimensions are required in order to confirm the correct vehicle!
- Wheelchair or small scooter folding type only. (Please note that disabled passengers must be able to board the vehicle independently or with the assistance of those in their party.)
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM – 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM – 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed
- Sedans; Within 24 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 24 hrs, a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- Minivan; Within 36 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 36 hrs, a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- Minibus 10-20 seats; Within 96 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 96 hrs, a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- Excursions canceled by us or because of FORCE MAJEURE will be fully refunded
- For all vehicles; No show mean, no refund
- If you have any further questions please contact us!