Lefkada To Zagori 8H Private Tour; Tucked into a remote part of Epirus, Greece’s northwest region of Zagori is an off-the-radar slice of wild beauty and ancient tradition. Its wilderness is a great place to escape the summer crowds.
It’s remarkable, given Zagori’s mountainous beauty, how relatively few travelers the region receives. Here, traditional Greece is very much alive. You see it in the sleepy thousand-year-old hamlets and villages tucked below the pine-clad Pindos Mountains.
UNESCO-protected Vikos Gorge cuts through the range, making it, according to the Guinness Book of Records, the deepest canyon in the world. The gorge lies at the heart of two national parks that provide a haven for endangered flora and fauna.
Zagori is also a hiker’s nirvana. Orchid-lined trails wind through the region, linking its 40 or so villages via ancient staircases and stone bridges.
Kayaking, whitewater rafting, add further appeal. There’s a hilltop castle, museums, and restaurants serving herb-infused cuisine and the best local wines around. Allow one day to explore Zagori.
Highlights of Lefkada To Zagori 8H Private Tour
- Visit the Zagori villages from Lefkada
- The Plaka bridge of Zagori
- Voidomatis river
- Vickos Gorge
- Micro Papingo
- Dilofo village
Lefkada To Zagori 8H Private Tour; ZAGORI – PAPINGO. A cluster of 46 stone villages, where a local stone was transformed into wonderful buildings and streets.
Built among the steep slopes of the limestone mountains and the deep river canyons surrounding them, harmoniously blending with them.
We begin our day tour from the picturesque valley of west Zagori, passing by Aristi, admiring the evolving landscape in the meantime.
We stop at River Voidomatis, one of the cleanest rivers in Europe, where you can plunge into its icy cold water, should you wish to, and then climb to the villages of Papigo.
We visit Ovires Rogovo, natural pools in a narrow canyon, and then the village of Mikro Papigo. Then we get back to cross a 1,090 m. pass to get to central Zagori in order to have a magnificent view of the Vikos Canyon at its deepest (almost a kilometer).
There you will have free time for a small snack with traditional pies (not included), like spinach pies, seasonal fruits, and local sweets, and continue by visiting Dilofo, a village at the center of Zagori!
Dilofo is one of the best-preserved Zagorohoria with its authentic architecture, built amphitheatrically in a clearing between two hills.
it is small it is one of the most beautiful villages of Zagorohoria, it is located among oaks, running waters, fir trees, and fruit trees (apple trees, walnuts, cherry trees, grapes, etc.).
Its old name was Sopotseli, which means a place with plenty of water because the village had many wells with clean water.
The most beautiful part is the central square in the middle of the village, which leads to a very nice wide central cobbled road.
NEXT TO THE VILLAGE, THERE ARE TWO STONE BRIDGES
The Bridge of St. Minas, a small one-arched bridge under Dilofo, was built next to the homonym small church. It bridges Xeropotamos and it is unknown when and from whom it was built.
Captain Arkoudas’ Bridge: On the way from Ioannina to Kipi and before the bridge of Kokoros we meet it on our left hand. It was built in 1806 with the support of Jewish Solomon Matsili. Its original names were “the bridge of the Jew” or “the bridge of Xeropotamos”. But when it was destroyed and rebuilt with money offered by Xanthis Lavdas it became known as the “bridge of Lavdas”.
The activities vary since Dilofo is located in the main zone of the North Pindos National Park. Tours and trips to nearby villages, visiting bridges and ravines are unique experiences.
Summer is the driest time but storms can occur year-round. May to October is the best season period to visit.
The mountain ranges to the west and north of Zagoria experiences a wide climatic variation from baking heat in summer to severe cold in winter with heavy rainfalls.
Winter can be cold but quite ethereal and even dramatic with fogs clinging to the side of the rock formations!
There isn’t really a bad time to visit Zagoria. So visit Zagoria at any time of the year!
- Transfer offered; Travelers pick up/drop off is offered.
- Pick up from; We will pick you up from any Villa, hotel, suite, or apartment in Lefkada island, Lefkada port, and yacht marina at the pier!
- Info needed; When booking makes sure to include the name and address of your accommodation or the name of the cruise line and the cruise ship!
- Pick up time; We propose to pick you up at 08:00 am in order to avoid traffic and crowded! (but as you are in Lefkada you can start any time you want)!
- Drop off; We will drop you off at the same place we have picked you up or at any hotel, address of your accommodation, or yacht and cruise ship!
What is Included
- A professional driver with good knowledge of Lefkada
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle appropriate for the size of your group
- Flexible pick up time on request
- Free Pick-up & drop off at your villa/hotel in Lefkada
- Free Pick-up & drop off at Lefkada port
- Free Pick-up & drop off at Lefkada Airport
- First-class transport: By Mercedes E-Class or similar; Mercedes minivan or Mercedes minibus according to the size of your party. All new models come with a full leather interior and A/C.
- Local taxes
- Official licensed tour guide for guiding inside the archeological sites. Available on request with surcharge
- The private tour is 100% exclusive for your party
What is Excluded
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/escort will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost.
- Private tour – Shore Excursion
- Activity level: Moderate
- Departures: Daily
- Due to the high complexity and uncertainty of contemporary transportation, as well as unexpected situations, the planned itinerary can change at any moment and our choices may be affected by any social, economic or environmental phenomena!
- Lefkada Tours Greece is proud to be the first in the industry to offer Guaranteed Departures. A guaranteed departure means; There is no minimum number of bookings required on a trip to run and that the tour will definitely operate on the day it is scheduled and will not be canceled. All guaranteed departures will run except in the event of a natural disaster or another similarly disruptive event that is beyond our control. Our current collection of tours can take you to exciting places in Athens and around the world.
How will we use the information you will give us about you!
- Passenger Detail; We need basic contact details so we can send appropriate booking information to you as well as make sure the supplier can contact you should they need to.
- Flight Details; We will need to know your exact travel details so they can track flight time as well as make sure they get you to and from your destination with no delay.
- Accommodation Details; We need to know your pick-up and drop-off address to ensure the right price and that we know exactly where to meet you or take you.
- Payment Details; We will pass your payment details to our secure payment provider, but we do not see or store any of these details on our website payment details.
- Dress: religious and memorial sites: shoulders and knee must be covered.
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of the tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Most of Lefkada Town (Chora) commercial center is either flat or has cobblestone, flagstone-paved streets, and lanes with slight inclines, though there are some lanes that have steps. Note though, the center is surrounded by hills, some of which are steep, but you could easily avoid those and still have plenty to see on flatter terrain.
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-soled walking shoes, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
- For guests who are full-time wheelchair users, a ramp vehicle will be needed. Guests may remain in their wheelchair or scooter for the duration of the excursion. Wheelchair or scooter dimensions are required in order to confirm the correct vehicle!
- Wheelchair or small scooter folding type only. (Please note that disabled passengers must be able to board the vehicle independently or with the assistance of those in their party.)
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM – 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM – 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed
- Sedans; Within 24 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 24 hrs, a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- Minivan; Within 36 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 36 hrs, a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- Minibus 10-20 seats; Within 96 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 96 hrs, a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- Excursions canceled by us or because of FORCE MAJEURE will be fully refunded
- For all vehicles; No show mean, no refund
- If you have any further questions please contact us!